Linda Jump is an author, memoir-writing teacher, speaker and photographer working out of Brevard County, Florida.
- LIVING THE BEST RETIREMENT in Palm Bay, Florida. I wake up late and decide how best to spend each day, often choosing to walk in the Atlantic’s wake, eat at great restaurants and play with family and friends. Of course, retirement includes near-weekly trips to visit Mickey Mouse’s parks, Universal, Gatorland, and various animal sanctuaries.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Linda is available for a variety of photo shoots, from births to weddings. She sells matted, signed and numbered photographs as art. Her subjects are primarily nature photographs, but also include marine life, beach and ocean scenes, space action, other scenic views, still life images, flowers, and animals. Her fortes currently are nesting birds, especially egrets and herons.
- WORKSHOP LEADER/TEACHER: Linda leads classes on how to write your life, general editing and reporting, photographing wildlife, and writing. Workshops can be for a few hours, all day, or ongoing as four-session or eight-session two hour classes. These classes have been offered through church-affiliated educational programs, at nursing facilities, at senior centers, at public libraries and through writing organizations and conferences. Her “Writing Your Life” class at the Shepherd’s Center of South Brevard is one of the longest-running and most popular of their offerings.
- BOOK AUTHOR on a variety of topics. These currently include a children’s book, a memoir-writing instruction book, a book of life stories from 26 of her students and a book of church humor.
- EDITOR AND WRITING COACH—Available to edit copy for a variety of media, as well as serving as a writing coach.
- SEA TURTLE SCOUT/EDUCATOR—Locating nesting Loggerheads for educational purposes through the Sea Turtle Preservation Society. She has led a power point presentation about local sea turtles to intergenerational groups of 20-30 attendees .
- GRANDMOTHER of a granddaughter and grandson who shares her love of theme parks and nature.
- WIFE of a retired New York State technology teacher and amateur radio operator (NN4JJ) who enjoys rides that I don’t.
Passions before retirement:
- NEWSPAPER REPORTER and PHOTOGRAPHER for three daily newspapers — Florida Today in Melbourne, Florida; Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin in Binghamton, N.Y., and the Daily Star in Oneonta, N.Y. Reported politics, education, business, court, health, news features and police breaking news. Wrote stories both for the print and online versions. Numerous stories ran in national newspapers through Gannett or the Associated Press Organizations. One of the first stories she wrote for the Daily Star earned first place for feature writing from the New York State Press Association.
- TELEVISION REPORTER for two stations in upstate New York. She shot film, wrote news scripts and did voice-overs for WBNG-TV in Binghamton, N.Y. and WRGB-TV in Schenectady, N.Y.
- EDITOR of a weekly newspaper for the United Methodist Church and two health-care magazines.
- MAGAZINE WRITER with dozens of articles in more than a dozen general and special-interest magazines, including Reader’s Digest and Emergency magazines. Linda has written or ghost written cover stories for such magazines as Physician’s Management and Dental Management.
- PHOTOGRAPHER for several magazines, and operated a photography business that included wedding, portraits, family and event photographs. My specialty was photos of babies and children, and pets.
- TEACHER of News Writing and News Production at the Blair School for Journalism in Blairstown, New Jersey.
- NATIONAL WORKSHOP COORDINATOR on communication and volunteerism for the United Methodist Church. Linda has led day-long workshops with audiences of more than 100 persons—and held their interest.
- Master of Arts degrees in Cultural Studies and Policy Studies from Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in News and Cultural Studies from Empire State College.
- Associate of Arts degree in Journalism from the State University of New York at Morrisville.
- Post-graduate classes at Syracuse University
- Ongoing classes currently taken through the Shepherd’s Center of South Brevard